Monday, October 5, 2009

John Lott's Website: Five year old boy kills 800 pound Alligator

Amazing. I lived for many years on a lake that had alligators living in it. My childhood friends and I didn't think twice about swimming in that lake. Our parents, too, didn't seem concerned. Alligators then, I suppose, were more afraid of humans...or maybe it was that the Press didn't move at the speed of light...or maybe it was that our parents friends knew people (who would take out the gators in the middle of the night and keep the lakes clear).
Either way, those times growing up on a lake were wonderful. I didn't realize just what a great upbringing I had until I started comparing stories with my Navy friends. Only then did I realize how truly fortunate I was to have the wonderful opportunities I did.
This really is an amazing story when you look at it in terms of survival instinct or in terms of individual responsibility.
The very young boy was taught to take matters in his own hand if necessary. He didn't just give up. He fought back. And he appreciated the power of gunpowerder and ammunition. It allowed him to vanquish something much bigger than he.
Bravo Zulu!
John Lott's Website: Five year old boy kills 800 pound Alligator

No comments: