Friday, April 10, 2009

In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening


I thought of this song last night while sitting on my porch enjoying a stogie and a brew with my friend Tom. I thought I would post the lyrics here so that you could undertand while this song won an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1951. Johnny Mercer was a genius with lyrics. My father had the opportunity to meet him years ago in Savannah, GA.

Anyway, here are the lyrics as listed on "International Lyrics Playground"


Sue wants a barbecue,
Sam wants to boil a ham,
Grace votes for Bouillabaisse stew.
Jake wants a weeny bake,
Steak and a layer cake,
He'll get a tummy ache too.
We'll rent a tent or tepee.
Let the town crier cry.
And if it's RSVP
This is what I'll reply:

In the cool, cool, cool of the evening
Tell 'em I'll be there.
In the cool, cool, cool of the evening
Better save a chair.
When the party's gettin' a glow on,
And singin' fills the air,
In the shank of the night,
When the doin's are right,
You can tell 'em I'll be there.

No comments: